The Retail POS Software Buyers Guide
Learn How to Quickly Find and Choose Reliable Point of Sale Software and Avoid Costly Mistakes
My name is Jeff Haefner and I've been working with computers, retailers, and POS software since 1993. In fact, I've seen hundreds of retailers go through the "pains" of choosing POS software.
And I'm tired of seeing so many retailers choose the
WRONG software and regret their purchase!
If you're like most retailers you're probably struggling to find and choose the "right" software for
your business. Whether you've wrestled with confusing sales literature, choosing an operating system, or figuring out how to compare software programs with countless features - you've probably been confused and discouraged.
Worse, with almost 1,000 completely different POS systems to choose from, you can become
and very frustrated. After all, POS software can have a dramatic affect on
the efficiency and success of your business! And you don't want to make a mistake!!
The truth is
choosing retail POS software is very difficult. It requires in depth
knowledge of computers, networking, software features, new technology, retail management and much more.
I've talked to hundreds of retailers that went through 2, 3 or even 4 different POS systems
before they found one they're happy with. Those mistakes probably cost at least $10,000 -
Just read a few of the emails I receive from retailers telling me about their mistakes...
I already made most of the mistakes that you mention in your guide. I bought computers and POS software before reading your book. Unfortunately the company's support is non-existing.
I have been using the program for two months and now I realize the incredible value of a good POS system.
I will actively promote your e-book so that others will not make the same mistake as me. I think your ebook will change the businesses of the people that subscribe, read and apply it. It will change their lives.
- Werner Vivier
Werner Vivier Framing & Deco
Your guide has helped us a lot. Firstly, we have learned that we are NOT as smart as we thought. Secondly, we have learned that there are a lot more POS suppliers than we thought. Thirdly, your guide STOPPED us from making BAD decisions.
Every user that we have contacted so far and asked what they think of the system that they are using, the answer is almost always: We hate our system, don't buy it. If only we had known then what we know now!
So far we have tried VERY hard to follow YOUR guide lines without which, we might have given up by now.! THANK YOU."
- Juergen Riedel
MCS - Maritime Campus Store
"The current system we're trying to dump is actually the second system we have tried and ended up not happy. We do not want to repeat our same mistake a third time!
I just wanted to let you know that I absolutely loved your guide! I especially liked the link to POS software vendors that was categorized by industry. It was also good to know that a lot of what you wrote we were already doing. We have a couple of people on staff that are fairly computer savvy and we learned from mistakes in our first two tries at POS software. It helped by hooking me up with a lot of vendors I did not know existed and it served as a "check list" to make sure all our bases were covered when interviewing perspective vendors.
- Armand Quintana
Too many retailers end up regretting their choice because they make a few critical mistakes.
I see retailers make these same critical mistakes over and over again.
But once retailers learn how to avoid these common mistakes and follow my proven formula they
can find powerful software rather quickly.
That's why I created this web page. You're about to learn how to avoid these critical mistakes.
And how to find and choose POS software that will give your business a dramatic boost in
Get Your Free Retail Technology Newsletter
Before you continue, you really should get our Free Retail Technology Newsletter that teaches you how to get the most from technology and gives you the latest news. Plus...
and a Free 25 Page Report
Just for signing up, I'll send you a free 25 page report called: "An Introduction to Choosing POS and Retail Management Software -- And 9 Things You Need to Know Before Selecting a POS System".
You can unsubscribe at any time
, and your
email will never
be given away or sold.
With the right POS software you could...
- Increase profits by $10,000... $25,000... $75,000 or more!
- Lower inventory costs by 5% to 40%
- Improve customer service
- Automate tedious tasks and maximize efficiency
- Simplify the management aspects of your retail business
- Improve the efficiency of your business by at least 20%
Sometimes I forget how much a "good" POS system can help retailers. I did a study of a lawn
& garden retailer that did about $450,000 in sales per year. He switched from a completely
manual system to a new pos system. One year later we estimated that he increased his profits by
$85,000! Just from improving efficiency, inventory control, reducing errors and gaining more
You can experience the same success if you follow the secrets I share in this step-by-step
The POS Software Buyers Guide
How to Choose Point of Sale Software and Avoid Problems
- by Jeff Haefner
With this guide, you can take complete control of your buying decision instead of letting a
sales-person lead you down the wrong path. I'm tired of seeing retailers get confused by "useless information".
That's part of the reason I created this buyers guide.
Keep in mind, this guide won't work for everyone! But if you're a small to medium sized
retailer doing $50,000 to $50,000,000 a year, this guide will help you.
It's set up as a step-by-step guide that takes you through the entire buying process. It shows
you exactly how to choose the best system for your unique business. Each step is laid out in complete detail. Nothing is left
The POS Software Buyers Guide provides EVERYTHING you need to quickly find and choose the BEST POS software for your retail business, including:
- Unlimited access to the "members area" of this website.
- A 103 page e-book that explains exactly what to look for and how to avoid mistakes.
- The POS Quick Search that helps you quickly find the best software products for your industry. In as little as 60 seconds, you can find powerful POS systems designed specifically for these industries:
Agriculture, Antique, Appliance, Art Galleries, ATV, Auto Dealer, Auto Parts, Auto Repair, Baker, Bar, Boat Dealers, Books, Building Materials, Carpet, CD's, Cellular Wireless, Clothing, Coins, Collectibles, Comics, Consignment, Construction, Convenience Store, Electronics, Flooring, Florist, Frame Shops, Garden Center, Gas stations, General Merchandise, Gift Shop, Hardware, Instruments, Internet Retailer, Jewelry, Lawn Mowers, Liquor, Lumber, Marinas, Marine, Motorcycle, Music, Nursery, Outdoor Power Equipment, Power Sports, Paint, Pharmacy, PWC, Radio, Recreational Vehicles, Rental, Restaurant, Salon, Sheet Music, Shoes, Small Engine, Snowmobile, Sporting Goods, Tractor, Truck, TV, and Video Rental.
- The POS Software Comparison Template that helps you to accurately compare POS systems side-by-side. It includes a professionally designed template with over 400 POS software features to get you started quickly and make sure you don't miss anything important.
- Consumer Reviews of POS & Retail Management Software - This new section of my website includes over 340 POS Software Reviews from real unbiased retailers. One of the best ways to find out if a POS system will really work the way you hoped is to talk with other retailers using it. You'll find that these POS Reviews are invaluable because they include the "really good stories" and the "really bad stories" that you NEED to hear before you choose your POS software.
- Retail Community Forum - Not only can you read about other retailers experiences, but you can also send "private messages" to many of them. This gives you the opportunity to ask them additional questions and get inside information that's normally to difficult to learn (until it's too late).
Here are just a few of the testimonials I've received:
"Hi, Jeff. I read your guide, and it's impressive: very thorough, simple, and full of things I wish retailers
would know about when they choose software. I've been in the business of selling POS software for 15 years (
and involved in hardware/lumber retail and wholesale for 25), and I can't tell you how many retailers would
benefit from using the approach you suggest!"|
- Peter Stoops
President, US Operations
"Thanks for your interest and the great advice. The best money we've spent in the search for a new POS system is your POS guide.
I suggest that consultants who recommend POS software get a hold of your guide. It will save them hours of research time and give the client a better result. Thanks again."
- Paul Gibbons
Jones Simkins LLP
"I wanted to let you know that your book was very helpful and the tips are awesome.
I haven't bought a system yet, but your book helped us decide which one we are going to buy!
I really think your book is a powerful tool for new companies or
companies that are looking for a POS, which sometimes, is very difficult
to choose the right POS system."
- Marcelo Fleitas
IT director at Earthbound Trading Company (Gift Shop)
Just finished your ebook... nicely done!
I'm not in the market for POS software, we provide a Free "matching service" for businesses looking for accounting software.
Your article and website copy sold me and I thought I'd read your ebook. Glad I did. You have a nice knack in breaking down what can be a complex decision into reasonable pieces."
- Mike Budiac
Find Accounting Software
"This is great reading for anyone looking at purchasing a point of sale system for their business. Unfortunately, most of our business comes from people that purchased the wrong system for their business and then have to upgrade. This book would have saved them thousands of dollars by knowing what to look for in a system and buying the right product the first time."
- Dennis Jacobsen
President - Windward Software Inc.
"Overall your guide is excellent - it echoes what I have been 'preaching' for years at DirectPOS. It's also what I have found to be true as both a retail and restaurant manager."
- Kevin Antosh
Manager at DirectPOS
Here are a few of the amazing secrets, tips & techniques this guide will teach you:
- How to quickly avoid the 10 most common mistakes that retailers make when they buy point of sale software
(I see people make these mistakes every day!)
- A step-by-step explanation of how to figure out which POS system will give you the
absolute highest return on investment. And make your business the most efficient.
- The most important POS software features. (If you don't look for this stuff you could lose thousands!)
- Full use of our
POS Software - Quick Search,
so you can search through the top 368 pos software providers and review the best matches for your industry... in as little as 60 seconds!
- The truth about pos software. What's important? And what's not?
- "Ready to use" questionnaires. It's all done for you, so you don't waste time.
- POS Software Reviews from real retailers - so you can easily learn the scoop on a POS system before you buy.
- Tips to make sure the software is reliable.
- How to quickly and accurately "grade" a software company's level of service and support.
- The truth about computer technology. I'll tell you exactly what to look for, so you don't get left behind.
- How to accurately compare software products, and make sure you choose the right one!
- How to create a features "wish list", fast.
- The right way to use references, and exactly what you need to ask.
- How to decide if you really need POS software and how much you should spend.
- Learn which software features you need... so you can automate tedious tasks and boost efficiency
Compare POS Systems Side-by-Side and Make Your Choice with Absolute Confidence
The Buyers Guide includes The POS Software Comparison Template that (at the very least), serves as an in-depth check-list to make sure you didn't miss anything important. With a little effort on your part, the Template can be used as a very powerful tool that allows you to accurately compare POS systems to help you make your final decision. The POS Comparison Template will allow you to:
- Quickly create your list of "required features" from a professionally designed template of over 400 POS software features.
- Use the template as a checklist to make sure you didn't miss anything important.
- Use the Template as a RFP (Request for Proposal) to send the POS vendors.
- Prioritize your features so you can accurately compare POS systems based on your specific business needs.
- Use the built-in "filters tools" to quickly clean things up so you can analyze the data much easier, and compare each POS system side by side.
- See which POS system scored the HIGHEST with an automatic weighted scoring system.
- Customize the Template however you want, with standard Excel techniques.
The Comparison Template is organized into the following sections:
Click here to view screen shots and features from the template.
- Point of Sale
- Inventory Management
- Vendor and Supplier Management
- Customer Management and Marketing
- Employee Management
- Accounts Receivable
- Accounts Payable
- General Ledger
- Work (Repair) Order Tracking and Shop Management
- E-Commerce/website integration
- Sales Reports
- Inventory Reports
- Purchasing Reports
- Customer Account Reports
- Accounts Receivable Reports
- Accounts Payable Reports
- General Ledger Reports
- Work Order Reports
- Rental Reports
- General System Features
- Hardware Support
- Software Provider
- General Information and Pricing
Read about these helpful comments that other retailers have made about their POS software search:
"The guide is very helpful. The idea of sending your 'Excel spreadsheet tool' to software companies is a great idea! That is what I am currently in the process of doing. Thanks so much for the great tips!"|
- Lorna Galey
Fruitridge Gardens, Inc
"I just wanted to let you know your Buyers Guide really helped me in understanding about the POS system. It helped me to ask the right questions and saved me a bundle of money. Thank you so much for writing this guide. It helped me immensely."
- Alex Hoang
Boomers 5 for $10 T-Shirts
"First of all, I need to commend you on the development of the 'Buyers Guide'. I've come to realize that my needs and expectations have changed and expanded. Because of the basic and organizational information in the 'Guide' I was able to develop a 4 page 'want list' including 10 areas of interest.
It took me from the 'I think this is what a POS system will do in generalities' to 'this is specifically what I want this system to accomplish... in detail'. Because the "Guide" gave me the template to examine my needs and educate myself on POS systems, I'm confident that I'll purchase the right system for my business and that I've done all I can to justify the investment."
- Del Brockshus
Del's Garden Center, Inc.
"Jeff, I really appreciate your time and efforts in the quick response back to me. It is not to often these days that someone will give their expert advice and referral so kindly, I do appreciate it and I want to personally thank you! I am always seeking out advice since I am on the operations side of things and quite young for my age to run a company."
- Dean Kretschmar
President and COO
Wireless Dimensions, LLC.
"I think that the format of your book was great. I found it good for organizing my thoughts. I was able to organize my search for POS systems better, and I was able to find and visit a number of web sites that I found from your search engine."
- Steve Rich
Englund Marine Supply
"Thank you for your time and loved your guide!! It's very informative. Nice to have the process broken down into smaller steps, I have been trying to long jump but seemingly can't get off the ground- I'll try this approach with much more confidence- Thank YOU!"
- Joan Graf
"The POS software guide is ideal to take the Right first steps to purchase a POS system. It is concise and easy to understand. I would recommend the guide to anybody. Considering the wealth of information and the excellent customer service offered by Jeff and his team, $29 is a real bargain, much less costly than the mistakes I may have made on my own!"
"Your book brought up some important details that I didn't think about.
I really appreciate your help. I will recommend your guide to anyone!"
- Tim Upton
Owner of a Health Foods and Vitamins Store
Click here to register for the POS Software Buyers Guide. It's completely free and only requires registration.
© Copyright 2003-2011 Strategic Technologies, LLC.
5001 1st Ave. SE, Ste 105 #254
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402