"What Makes Some Retail Businesses So Successful at Pleasing Customers - And How You Can Use This Information to Increase
Sales by 50% or More."
- By Bob Twain
There is NO doubt about it! Customer service is the most
important thing for the specialty retailer to think about -
because it can realistically increase your sales by 50% or
more. Great customer service is such a simple concept, yet
a very powerful strategy for success.
What's amazing is that SO many retailers get too busy and
forget what's important...
If you're not currently doing almost ALL of the customer
service tips listed below, then you need to change something
With some help from retail consultant Doug Fleener, we came up with 15 quick and easy tricks to keep your customers
coming back for more. This works because when you let your
customers know that you appreciate them, they'll show that
they appreciate you by purchasing more of your products and
will become a loyal customer, guaranteed.
Some of these tips require retail technology and some don't.
Here you go:
Bottom line, train your employees to do the little things
that improve your customers' satisfaction and your sales
will increase, guaranteed.
- Always say hello. Your sales people, your cashiers, and
all your employees must always say hello.
- Acknowledge your customers children.
- Ask your customer their name and use it.
- Suggest accessories and other items that enhance your
customer's purchase and their life. If you have a POS
system, be sure to enter "suggested add-on items" in your
software, so employees get reminders and start
remembering on their own.
- Open the door for customers whenever possible.
- If you're busy and the customer is waiting for help, give
them an estimate of how long they'll have to wait.
- When a customer says "Thank you", say "You're welcome."
Add "It's my pleasure" after you say "You're welcome".
- Have the owner personally call a high-ticket customer
and thank them for their purchase. Your POS software should
allow you to print off a list of your high-ticket purchases
- Offer to carry your customer's purchase to the car (even
if it's small).
- Send handwritten thank you notes.
- Send a birthday card with a gift certificate or coupon
for a free product. You can use the CRM portion of your POS
software to quickly identify and track customers' birthdays.
- Tell the customer why a product isn't right for them.
This type of honesty will surely create a life-long loyal
- Teach the customer how to use the product they
purchased. Clothing retailers might show their customer
how to accessorize their purchase.
- Make your return policy as easy as possible.
- If your customer lost their receipt, reprint the
receipt for them on the spot. (This is very quick and easy
with the right POS software technology.)
Now go ahead and print this article right now and make sure
you're consistently doing most (if not all) of the tips
To Your Success!
Did You Know About Our Other Products and Services?
Here are a few resources you might want to check out:
Content For Your Web Site Or E-zine
If you'd like to reprint the above article, please email me
your request and where it will reside, and I'll send you a short bio
and my website link to add at the end of the article.
To request permission to reprint any of our articles, contact us at: